AUSTIN -- On Sunday afternoon James Ochoa went to work thinking, “it's really warm.”
“You would think it is August outside,” Ochoa said. But moments later he yelled, “Oh my god it is really cold.”
As the cold front moves through Central Texas, local doctors stress taking extra precautions to stay warm.
The colder temperatures are a concern for emergency room doctors like Dr. David Kaylor at Scott & White Hospital who want to prevent people from getting sick.
“Dress appropriately and wear layers of warms clothes and really stay dry,” Kaylor said.
He said every winter emergency room visits also spike because of carbon monoxide poisoning.
“There are a lot of space heaters, kerosene heaters, fireplaces in use and they have to be well ventilated,” Kaylor said. “Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. You can't smell it, you can't taste it and they will present with nausea and vomiting.”
He said it's important to monitor heaters. If you se them, make sure your home is well ventilated.