AUSTIN -- In order to have a fun, safe time at South by Southwest 2013, the Austin Police Department recommends the following:
• Always park in a well-lit parking lot/area
• Do not park in areas that say “No parking”
• Towing will be enforced in the Guadalupe Neighborhood area. The boundaries are East 7th-11th Streets from the west frontage of IH-35 to Navasota Street.
• If your vehicle gets towed from a public street or alley you will need to call Southside Wrecker at (512) 441-7094
• If you get towed from a private parking lot, a sign will be posted at the entrance with the contact information for the towing company servicing that particular lot
• Only provide money to legit parking attendants.
• For SXSW street closures, click here.
• It is always important to use the buddy system; if you are with a group of friends try your best to stay with your group
• If for some reason you get separated from your group, designate a meeting location
• Sometimes cell phones do not work due to high usage in one area, so have a backup plan
• Designate a driver! It is not worth getting behind the wheel drunk. You are putting your own life and innocent lives at risk.
Protecting your valuables
• If you are staying in a hotel, it is important for you to put all your major valuables such as computers, electronics, jewelry, etc. in a secure area
• Stay off the road when possible
• Monitor the traffic around you so you can assess the risks you face
• Never assume that because you can see vehicles they can see you
• Eliminate distractions such as cell phones and electronics
• Wear reflective clothing when walking at night and walk in well-lit areas
• Always check over your shoulder and signal your intentions, even when just changing position in a lane
• Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks
• Don’t drive distracted
• Don’t text and drive
• Slow down, especially in areas with a lot of pedestrian traffic
• Share the road with pedestrians, cyclists and other road users
• Check mirrors and blind spots for bicycles and pedestrians before turning, changing lanes or opening car doors
• When passing a cyclist, reduce speed and give plenty of space
• Always signal your turns
• Drive sober