AUSTIN --Saturday morning, a voice yelled to a crowd of thousands, "go pink or go home baby! Go pink or go home!"
Austin chose to go pink! From pale pink shirts, to hot pink hair, to pretty pink crowns; even the men in Austin put on their pink for the Susan G. Komen Austin Race for the Cure.
KVUE's own Terri Gruca was on hand to cheer on the runners and comfort the families who were running in memory of their loved ones.
Thousands ran with the goal of finding a cure to the disease that effects one in eight women.
"I was diagnosed three years ago in 2009," said Deb Davis-Groves, a survivor turned Komen volunteer. "And I'm one of four in my mother's family and then my sister-in-law also has breast cancer."
LaTanya Tatum is also a survivor. "It happened to me at 29, it happened to my mother at 50."
1200 survivors teamed up with nearly 13,000 people to raise money and awareness for the organization. It's a rough time for the organization, as donations are down about 40%, partly because of a controversy involving funding for Planned Parenthood.
"Cancer doesn't really have politics, so whatever your beliefs, pink is our color," said race Co-Chair Kheira Ardjani.
Ardjani says it's important that people realize the help Komen provides.
"A woman called in and she called the office and said she could manage her treatment but she didn't have money to put food on the table for her family. Through one of our local grantees, we were able to provide that," explained Ardjani.
"I answer the phones, so I understand the real need of our constituency and our community. I think people need to understand clearly that Komen Austin is about giving back to the community," added Groves.
75% of the money raised by the race and other fundraisers is used to help breast cancer patients in Austin and the five surrounding counties. The other 25% goes to breast cancer research, aimed at finding a cure. And until that day comes, Austinites have pledged to parade in pink, racing for a cure.
For more information, or to donate, please click the link below: