A CDC study released Thursday isn't exactly making a splash among swimmers. Researchers in Atlanta found fecal contamination in more than half of the public pools they tested, and say the same is probably true in every other city.
The CDC says the pool operators aren't to blame. The real problem is that people aren't showering before swimming. It's a hygiene issue.
"That makes me really want people to go use soap and water and everything before they go in, but I don't know how you can solve that basic personal hygiene," said Ingrid Hanou.
She's one of several swimmers KVUE's sister station, KING 5, spoke with at Mounger Pool in Magnolia.
Most were aware of the possibility of public pools being contaminated, but say they always thought it was because of little kids.
"I told my daughter this afternoon, you really don't want to drink the pool water because kids pee and poop in it and it's dirty," said Beth Fishman.
While that may be the case, the CDC study found adults can be equally to blame.
KING 5 found signs posted at all of the bathrooms at Mounger Pool, reminding patrons to 'Help Keep Our Water Clean'.
A spokesperson for Seattle Parks and Rec confirms soap showers are now required before entering the water.
In addition, pool staff in Seattle test chlorine and PH levels at least six times a day. If there is a contamination, it's treated immediately, and no one is allowed back into the pool for a minimum of half an hour following treatment.
Public pools here also undergo regular inspections by the Department of Health.
"I can't imagine they can keep it much cleaner than they're doing already," said mom Lily Bach.
The CDC study tested water from filters at 161 pools in the Atlanta area. Researchers found DNA from E. coli bacteria normally found in feces in about 58% of the samples that were taken.
You can read the entire CDC study here, along with tips on healthy swimming.