APNewsBreak: Andy Griffith widow to raze his home

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

Associated Press

Posted on March 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Updated Wednesday, Mar 20 at 7:05 PM

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The widow of actor Andy Griffith has gotten a permit to tear down the house where he lived for many years on the North Carolina waterfront, upsetting friends who had hoped it would be preserved.

Dare County records show Cindi Griffith obtained the demolition permit Monday. County officials and friends say the permit is not for a larger house that the actor and his wife built several years ago.

Among those who had hoped Cindi Griffith would keep the older home is Tony Award-winning costume designer William Ivey Long, whose parents were friends with Griffith.

Long says Griffith told him in 2007 that he hoped to turn the house into a museum.

Cindi Griffith didn't return messages Wednesday. Andy Griffith died last year at the age of 86.

Print
Email
|