Woman says Paul Mitchell flat iron is dangerous, fire hazard

Print
Email
|

by RUCKS RUSSELL / KHOU-TV

kvue.com

Posted on January 29, 2010 at 12:52 PM

HOUSTON—Some flat irons sold under the popular brand name Paul Mitchell are taking some heat from consumers convinced the tools are dangerous. 

“I literally had to throw mine on the counter and it burnt the countertop,” said Amanda Dykmann, who recently purchased a flat iron that she claims nearly caught fire. “It’s normal to have steam coming out but when there’s actual smoke there’s a problem.”

Dykmann is one of several consumers complaining of similar experiences. The item in question is a Paul Mitchell flat iron bearing the model number psi-001. It’s manufactured in China and imported to the States. Attorney Jason Gibson believes that process places consumers at risk. 
“You have a reputable company that’s been in business for a long time putting their brand name on a product that comes from overseas,” Gibson said.  “There needs to be more regulations for these types of products, because people feel that with a good name they’re getting a good product.”
Paul Mitchell representatives said the company stands by its products, adding that the particular model in question was discontinued three years ago. According to company officials, Paul Mitchell sold more than 100,000 of the irons and received just a handful of complaints. 
A Paul Mitchell spokesperson released the following statement: “At John Paul Mitchell Systems, customer service is a cornerstone of our business. From the inception of this company, we have offered 100% guarantee on all of our products. Therefore, we are concerned to learn of any dissatisfied customers that have not been treated in accordance with our customer service standards. For over three decades the Paul Mitchell brand has stood for quality, innovation and integrity with customer satisfaction being our top priority.”
But Dykman claims when she called customer service, representatives did not address her concerns. 
“To me, they just didn’t seem to care. But if someone’s hair catches fire, that could be a real tragedy,” she said.

Print
Email
|