An online startup wants to make a refrigerator full of leftover food a thing of the past.
With the LeftoverSwap app, you can take a picture of the last piece of chicken in the bucket, for example, and sell it online right away. In the mood for pizza? You can search nearby for a half-eaten pie.
The company says it hopes to prevent food waste, while promoting eating local and building communities.
The website claims using the app can help solve the following problems:
- 40% of the food we produce goes to waste.
- 25% of us don't know our neighbors' names.
- 70% of us are overweight.
- 16% of Americans lack enough food for a healthy lifestyle.
- 99% of us don't need a second helping of the beef lo mein.
“With LeftoverSwap, there's less waste and fewer people picking through dumpsters: a win-win,” creator Tristram Stuart says.