LEWISVILLE, Texas -- One civilian and two firefighters were injured in an explosion Friday afternoon at a duplex located at 520 East Main Street in Lewisville.
Several blocks around the site were evacuated as a precaution as Atmos Energy crews worked to shut off a four-inch gas line. At about 2:30 p.m., Jennifer Ryan, an Atmos spokeswoman, said gas was still leaking and asked people to stay clear from the scene.
Firefighters initially responded to the call of a gas leak at about 10:04 a.m., said Assistant Chief Brian Freed, Lewisville Fire Department. Witnesses said part of East Main Street downwind from the leak was closed as Atmos crews and firefighters worked to find and repair the leak.
At about 12:34 p.m., crews were fixing the line adjacent to the home when the explosion occurred, Freed said.
"There was no indication, it was just an immediate explosion," he said.
Two firefighters and one person inside the duplex were injured. Freed said once the gas was shut off, firefighters would begin searching through the rubble for more possible victims.
Shortly before 4 p.m., the injured firefighters were reported to be okay. The third person was recovering in the intensive care unit and was also expected to recover.
The explosion left behind massive debris in the nearby street and blew window screens off several nearby structures. Firefighters from Lewisville, Carrollton and The Colony worked together to battle the subsequent fire.
Ron Batts, the president and CEO of Christian Community Action, confirmed the duplex was owned by the non-profit. CCA also owns 26 other units that serve as low-income housing in the area.
Batts said CCA is working to provide shelter for anyone displaced by the explosion.