AUSTIN -- An annual track and field event will cause many traffic delays for drivers in downtown Austin over the weekend.
The 86th annual Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays will bring many visitors to Austin, and the Texas Department of Transportation and Austin Police Department say drivers should expect some road closures and traffic alerts.
From Friday, March 29 through Saturday, March 30, East Sixth Street will be closed from Brazos Street to the west frontage road of Interstate 35. The 500 and 600 blocks of Red River, Sabine, Neches, Trinity and San Jacinto Streets will also be closed.
APD has released a list of road closures during Texas Relays. They may begin as early as 6 p.m. and open and close throughout the weekend.
- 5th and 6th Streets from the east frontage road of Interstate 35 to San Marcos Street
- The southbound I-35 exit ramps at 8th/6th Streets and Cesar Chavez Street
- The northbound 6th Street exit ramp
- 6th Street between the east frontage road of I-35 and San Marcos Street
- Brushy Street between 5th and 7th Streets
Austin police say officers will be out in full force to clear traffic congestion and encourage drivers to not enter blocked intersections.
Drivers should use MoPac, Congress Avenue, MLK Boulevard, Lamar Boulevard or Guadalupe Street in downtown Austin to avoid traffic delays.