AUSTIN -- New city documents provide more specific terms of a proposed settlement between the City of Austin and the U.S. Department of Justice concerning the hiring of Austin's firefighters.
The KVUE Defenders and Austin American-Statesman first reported possible terms last month, soon before the City Council delayed voting on the proposed consent decree.
The council is now set to again consider the consent decree next week.
According to the proposal, the city could begin hiring new firefighters after delaying a cadet class for more than a year until matters with the Justice Department were resolved.
The city, however, would have to pay $780,000 in compensation to about 40 minority firefighters who were not hired in a previous cadet class and who federal officials said were victims of discrimination. They also would have to include about 30 positions for black and Hispanic candidates for the next eight years.
The move comes after the Justice Department said last year that it had found discrimination in the fire department's hiring process.
Mayor Lee Leffingwell said Tuesday he is eager to resolve the matter.
“I think it is very important that we get some resolution so we can continue to hire firefighters, because we need them," he said.