San Antonio home destroyed after kids light fireworks inside

Print
Email
|

by Kens5.com staff

kvue.com

Posted on January 1, 2014 at 7:35 PM

SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- A house was charred in southwest San Antonio after kids played with fireworks near a Christmas tree inside the home, according to the San Antonio Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to the 500 block of W. Academy Street, near Cupples Road and Highway 90, for a reported structure fire just after 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Upon arrival, fire crews found the house to be fully engulfed in flames. The fire was extinguished quickly; however, the house was completely destroyed in the blaze, fire officials said.

Six people and a dog managed to make it out of the home without injury.

Firefighters said the tree most likely caught on fire so quickly because it was dry. SAFD is urging people to get rid of their Christmas trees as soon as possible to avoid similar situations.

Print
Email
|