PORTLAND, Oregon -- A young, hospitalized girl in Portland who was burned in a bizarre fire sparked by hand sanitizer and olive oil is proving her strength as she recovers from her injuries.
Ireland Lane was burned after she used an ethyl alcohol-based hand sanitizer at Oregon Health & Science University's Doernbecher Children's Hospital, Fire Marshal Mark Wallace said.
The girl's father, Stephen Lane, has said he also likely wiped the sanitizer on Ireland's T-shirt and wiped her bedside table with it before the fire, not realizing the danger.
It's been a tough and long road for this little girl. Ireland beat cancer a few years earlier. Despite this horrible accident, Ireland continues to fight.
Ireland is now recovering at a local Ronald McDonald house.
"I've had over 30 friends die from cancer and I don't want to do the same," Ireland told KGW. "I wanted to fight to stay with my family, too."
KGW Reporter Abbey Gibb contributed to this report