Northwest Austin home catches fire

Print
Email
|

by KVUE.com

kvue.com

Posted on October 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Updated Monday, Oct 21 at 9:52 PM

Northwest Austin structure fire

View larger map

AUSTIN -- Flames shot through the roof of a home in Northwest Austin early Monday.

The Austin Fire Department got a call around 11:30 a.m. Heavy smoke and flames were seen  coming out of a house at 12608 Dove Valley Trail near Parmer Lane and McNeil Drive off U.S. 183.

A second home caught fire, but firefighters prevented the flames from spreading. The second home has heat and shingle damage.

Flames were so intense that firefighters had to retreat and attack the fire from the outside.

No one was home at the time. One of the homeowners was in Dallas. Her husband was at work. No one was injured.

Neighbor Wendy Spencer got a call from the homeowner and rushed home scared.

"They normally have a dog that would have been in there," said Spencer. "Since [the wife] was out of town today the owner took the dog with him to work, just out of the blue."

"So now I've got the dog with me, but normally the dog would have been in there."

Spencer walked the dog while the homeowners assessed the damage. She said she was worried the fire would spread to her home through all the trees, but said Austin and Jollyville fire crews and trucks reassured her she was safe.

Firefighters believe the fire may have started in an outdoor trash can.

Print
Email
|
 
News Video
More Video