Fire forces six from duplex, injures dog


by JESSICA VESS / KVUE News & photojournalists MATT OLSEN and SCOTT GUEST

Bio | Email | Follow: @JessicaV_KVUE

Posted on September 24, 2013 at 5:33 AM

Updated Tuesday, Sep 24 at 7:40 AM

AUSTIN -- A fire at an East Austin duplex has forced six people from their home.

The blaze broke out just after 1 a.m. Tuesday on Vioitha drive off Northeast Drive near Manor Road.

AFD Battalion Chief Palmer Buck says it started in a car port that connects the two units. Investigators traced the source to a generator. Firefighters say it was too close to combustibles.

Once the fire sparked it spread quickly, stretching out from the car port to both units.

A neighbor noticed the fire and knocked on doors to warn the families to get out. They made it out safely, but a family dog went through the flames and suffered severe burns.

“They're treating the dog right now, working on getting it to the vet. The firefighters were actually able to apply one of the our pet masks and get the dog breathing again,” said Buck.

Firefighters say the fire caused about $80,000 in damage to the duplex and burned roughly $30,000 worth of contents.

The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.

News Video
More Video