AUSTIN -- Fire officials are warning residents to properly dispose cigarettes after an apartment fire in North Austin caused an estimated $300,000 of damage.
Investigators said the fire broke out at the Solano Apartments in North Austin on Sunday. It accidentally started when a cigarette was improperly put out.
They say the discarded cigarette ignited a wooden balcony on the second floor of one of the buildings off Interstate 35 south of Rundberg Lane. The fire then extended into the apartment and attic.
Multiple fire engines responded to the apartment complex in North Austin just after 4:30 p.m.
When firefighters arrived fire and smoke poured from a second-floor balcony of an apartment building. Twenty minutes later the fire was under control, but smoke and water damaged at least two other units.
As of Sunday night electricity remained out in the 16-unit building.
Fire damage is estimated at $250,000 for the structure and $50,000 for its contents.
There were no injuries reported.
In total six people were displaced. The building manager and the Red Cross are helping those families find shelter.
According to the Austin Fire Department, improperly discarded smoking materials are the leading cause of fires in Austin.