AUSTIN -- A man is dead Saturday after a fire at an apartment building in South Austin.
The fire started after 4:30 a.m. Saturday in a kitchen at the Saddle Creek Apartments on Old Manchaca Road near West Slaughter Lane.
Fire officials say "unattended cooking" started the fire. It was ruled accidental.
Crews pulled out a 30-year-old man and an EMS worker performed CPR on him. Paramedics took the victim to University Medical Center Brackenridge where he later died.
The woman who lives next door says she woke up to the smell of smoke and called 911.
"We walked around and we could smell it pretty strong in our apartment and we went outside. Turns out it was the neighbor net to us with smoke billowing out of his chimney so we called 911," she said.
The neighbor says a dog that belonged to the victim's roommate also died in the fire.
The victim has not been identified.
Damage is estimated at $20,000, officials say.