Cedar Park police release names of shooting victims, say city is safe

Print
Email
|

by ASHLEY GOUDEAU / KVUE News and Photojournalist SCOTT McKENNEY

Bio | Email | Follow: @AshleyG_KVUE

kvue.com

Posted on August 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Updated Monday, Aug 20 at 6:41 PM

CEDAR PARK, Texas -- Cedar Park police have released the names of the four victims who were shot during a fight in the Walmart parking lot. They victims are: 19-year-old Shayne Davis, 19-year-old Zacharia Gietl, 22-year-old Leland McGlocklin and 18-year-old Cody McGrath. Davis, McGlocklin and McGrath are still in the hospital in critical condition.

The suspected shooter is also still in the hospital. Police say 18-year-old Soloman Onwukaife had to be hospitalized for injuries to his face, but he is expected to be released Monday and booked into jail.

According to Cedar Park police, Onwukaife opened fire on a group of young men around 4:30 Sunday morning in the parking lot of the Walmart at Highway 183 and FM 1431. Police say the group had been drinking at a party in Williamson County.

Witnesses claim Onwukaife got into a physical altercation with a girl and reportedly agreed to meet her friends in the parking lot to fight.

"He shot his best friend, and then he clicked it again and right before he could click it, one of my girl friends pushed me out of the way, and he shot one of the other guys," said Austin Morita who was planning to fight Onwukaife.

"He shot his friend in front of him twice, and then he shot me in the chest," said Gietl. "My friend turned to run, and he got shot in the shoulder, and then another kid got shot in the ribs."

Onwukaife has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, but police say they are still investigating and more charges could be filed. They are working to find out if anyone else brought a gun to the fight.

Despite this incident, Cedar Park Police Chief Henry Fluck says the area is safe and crime is actually down in the city. Chief Fluck says crime dropped 11 percent in 2011.

This is the second shooting in that area this year. Back in February, police shot and killed 22-year-old Chad Runge. Police say Runge robbed the Little Cesar's Pizza across from the Walmart and pointed what looked like a firearm at a police officer. Police later found that Runge's weapon was a BB gun.

In June, police responded to a bomb threat at the store. Still, police say people shouldn't be afraid to shop there.

"The conflict arose outside of Cedar Park at a party, and they agreed to meet in Cedar Park to settle their disagreement. So this really had absolutely nothing to do with Walmart. It just happened to be a place that's open 24 hours a day, and they decided to meet there," said Chief Fluck.

In 2010, police responded to 281 calls at the Walmart. There were 284 calls in 2011. So far this year, there have been 202 police calls. Chief Fluck says the majority of those calls are for shoplifting or traffic stops made near the store.

The accused shooter does live in Cedar Park. His neighbors did not want to go on camera but told KVUE News they were shocked to learn what happened. They describe Onwukaife as a respectable and polite young man, always willing to help his neighbors with yard work.

Right now Onwukaife is in the hospital receiving treatment for an injury to his face that happened during the fight. He's being charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Print
Email
|