AUSTIN -- Thousands are descending upon Zilker Park this weekend for the 2012 Austin City Limits Festival. In the wake of more than 75,000 daily visitors, festival organizers have released a few tips for festival goers.
- The festival is smoke-free. Ticket and wristband holders will be able to re-enter the festival grounds during the event, so smokers can go to the street outside the ACL gates. Organizers also ask that you discard your cigarettes properly.
- A limited number of $1,050 VIP passes and $3,600 Platinum Passes are available here. You can also purchase them at the box office on Barton Springs Road. Three-day and single-day passes sold out in May.
- The ACL box office on Barton Springs Road will be open starting Oct. 10, from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday. Hours are 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday-Sunday.
- This year festival-goers can register their wristbands online. That way if you lose your band or damage it, it can easily be replaced. If you register by 11:59 p.m. Thursday you will be entered to win VIP upgrades.
- There is a free iPhone and Android app you can download to keep track of your schedule. The app also allows you to listen to ACL radio, follow the ACL Instagram feed and create customized text groups to keep up with friends.
- If you use the ACL Instagram feed, your photos could be displayed on video screens at multiple stages throughout the park. Just tag your photos with #aclfest.
- The entire festival merchandise store will also be on the smart phone apps, so you won't have to wait in line to buy souvenirs.
- You should also check out this ACL Social Viewer.
- There is no parking at ACL.
- You can take a free shuttle from Republic Square Park, take a cab, ride a bike or walk.
- There will be bike parking at each entrance to the festival.
- Parking in local neighborhoods is prohibited.
- Conscious Alliance will be taking donations of canned food for the Capital Area Food Bank.
- If you donate 10 cans, you will receive a limited edition poster (until they run out).
- H-E-B will match donations made to the Art That Feeds Drive.
BAG AND CHAIR CHECK:
- You can stow your bag and chair for free at the American Airlines Bag and Chair Check.
- Local restaurants will be in attendance, putting their spin on festival food.
- Fan favorites like Tim Love's Love Shack, Austin's Pizza, Torchy's Tacos and the Mighty Cone are just a few choices. Newcomers include Second Bar + Kitchen, Judge's Hill Restaurant and GoodPop Frozen Pops.
- Hope Farmer's Market will also be there to offer food for vegetarians, vegans and those eating gluten-free.
- You are allowed to bring two factory sealed (1 liter) water bottles into the festival. You can also bring an empty refillable container. There will be filling stations inside the park. Water will also be available for $2 at any festival bar.
- The Zilker Drafthouse will offer Shock Top Begian White, Redhook Longhammer, Kona Pipeline Porter and Shock Top Lemon Shandy, among other beers.
- You can recharge your phone (and get some shade!) under the Solar Community's shade structure. The structure will offer solar power to many big parts of the ACL Festival.
FOR THE KIDS:
- H-E-B will sponsor the area known as the Austin Kiddie Limits. There will be many activities to entertain the little ones including video karaoke, hip-hop workshops, tattoos and much more.
The festival will be held Oct. 12-14, featuring more than 130 bands including the Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys and Neil Young. Click to see photos of some of the performers.
Take KVUE with you. To keep up with weather and news updates, download any of our free smart phone apps.