Four students hospitalized after taking cough syrup at school

Print
Email
|

by khou.com staff

kvue.com

Posted on October 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM

HOUSTON – Four students from Dawson High School were taken to the hospital Tuesday after they ingested a large amount of cough syrup, Pearland police said.

The incident happened around 11:15 a.m. in the 1900 block of North Main in Pearland.

A teacher noticed a 15-year-old student in distress and took him to the nurse’s office. That’s where they found his blood pressure and heart rate was elevated. The student admitted taking a large amount of cough syrup, Pearland police said.

The nurse called for an ambulance and contacted campus police.

The student told police that earlier in the day he and three friends went into a restroom and they each consumed a bottle of Delsym cough syrup. After drinking the cough syrup they returned to class, police said.

Campus police found the other three boys and said they found them experiencing similar symptoms.

All four of the students were transported to Memorial Hermann Southeast Hospital. Three of the students were treated at the hospital and released, and one other student was being kept overnight because his vital signs were still elevated.

The four boys face possible charges of public intoxication, police said.

Print
Email
|