Posted on July 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Tuesday, Jul 23 at 11:01 AM
How many of us just keep paying bills each month for things that we don’t use or need anymore? Below are 5 ways you are likely wasting your money and may not even know it:
1. Land Line Telephone – If everyone in your home has a cell phone, it is time to consider whether or not you need a land line. Most 911 systems can track a cell phone call to a location and many security alarm companies can set up your system wirelessly.
2. Prescriptions – Make sure you are getting generic medications wherever possible. The generics can cost a fraction of the name brand medications and your pharmacy will not switch you automatically if you have been getting name brand medications and a new generic alternative comes available.
3. Insurance – I believe that you should call and get quotes on car insurance at least every 12 months. Many companies offer a less expensive first year to get you in the door and then raise it. It never hurts to shop around!
4. Online Club, Newsletter, Website Memberships, Warehouse Club Memberships – People often sign up for an online membership or a membership at a shopping club that will automatically renew and charge a credit or debit card every month or every year until you cancel. Check those statements and make sure you are not being charged for any memberships that you don’t need!
5. Cable or Satellite Television – Look closely at these bills also. Are you paying for premium services that you don’t watch or tiers of channels which you don’t need? Call your service provider and find out if there are bundles that would save you money. If you get internet service through this same provider, consider asking for a slower connection speed that may be less expensive if you do not frequently download large files.
We can all use a few extra dollars each month and I’m hoping these tips help you find a little extra money for your budget!