Summertime in Austin has arrived, and with it comes the tradition of watching films outside under the stars (we're Texans, we can handle the heat).
So if you're one of the many who want to spend time outside and be entertained, you're in luck.
Check out this list of summer flicks you can catch around town, grab your blanket and bug spray and enjoy those summer nights!
Blue Starlite Drive-in - If you love drive-in theaters, old school commercials of dancing hot dogs and making out in cars, then this is the place for you. Located at 1901 East 51st Street at Austin Studios, here is a list of films being shown this summer:
- Friday, June 7: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The Last Starfighter
- Saturday, June 8: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Adventures in Babysitting
- Thursday, June 13: Who Framed Roger Rabbit and The Best of the Simpsons
- Friday, June 14: Hitchcock Night with North By Northwest and Vertigo
- Saturday, June 15: The Princess Bride and Night of the Living Dead
- Sunday, June 16: Mr. Mom and National Lampoon's Vacation
- Thursday, June 20: Raising Arizona
- Thursday, June 27: Splash
- Saturday, June 29: Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal
- Thursday, July 4: Independence Day
- Friday, July 5: Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
- Saturday, July 6: Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2
101X Summer Cinema at Central Market - Find something delicious for dinner and watch a film under the stars with the 101X Summer Cinema. Located at Central Market in Central Austin, you can get a hot and ready meal before sitting in your lawn chair to watch these films every other Wednesday:
- Wednesday, June 12: Can't Hardly Wait
- Wednesday, June 26: Karate Kid (1984)
- Wednesday, July 10: The 5th Element
- Wednesday, July 24: Tommy Boy
- Wednesday, Aug. 7: Star Trek
Austin Sound & Cinema - If you're also a music lover, then this is the event for you. Every other Wednesday a favorite film will be shown on an outdoor screen on the lawn of the Long Center for free. Another bonus? A free concert featuring music related to the film will also be played. Did we mention it's free?
Here's the lineup for this summer:
- Wednesday, June 19: Smokey and the Bandit featuring songs about the road from Whiskey Shivers
- Wednesday, July 17: Back to the Future featuring live music by Hello Wheels, playing hits from the 1950s and 1980s
- Wednesday, July 31: School of Rock featuring the Zeppelin Show performed by Will Taylor and Strings Attached
- Wednesday, Aug. 14: Flash Gordon (1980) featuring live music with Queen cover band Magnifico
- Wednesday, Aug. 21: TBA
For more information go here.
Austin Movies in the Park - Watch a movie under the glowing lights of downtown Austin at Republic Square Park for free!
Here's the schedule:
- The Fifth Element (PG-13): Thursday, May 16 at 8:30 p.m.
- Scott Pilgrim v. The World (PG-13): Thursday, June 6 at 8:30 p.m.
- A League of Their Own (PG): Thursday, July 11 at 8:30 p.m.
- Rocky (PG): Thursday, September 12 at 7:30 p.m.
- Ghostbusters (PG): Thursday, October 24 at 7:30 p.m.
- Hunger Games (PG-13): Thursday, November 7 at 7:30 p.m.
Round Rock Movies in the Park - If you live too north for movies in downtown Austin, have no fear! Round Rock is showing free movies at Lakeview Pavilion in Old Settlers Park this summer as well!
Here's the lineup:
- The Sandlot - June 14 at 7:30 p.m.
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Aug. 2 at 7:30 p.m.
Go here for more information.
Now if you read this list and feel discouraged because you don't want to be anywhere outside this summer, don't fret.
Some indoor theater options: