AUSTIN -- The historic Elisabet Ney Museum will host ‘Ney Day’ a free, fun, family-friendly event June 15 to celebrate the museum’s recent renovation and to welcome back the community after being closed for nine months.
Saturday's Ney Day activities from noon to 5 p.m. will include music, a portrait sculpture demonstration, jugglers, children’s activities and tours of the museum. The former studio and home of sculptress Ney, built in 1892, is at 304 E. 44th St.
The musical lineup includes Austin’s original Fence Sitters, Fiddlisa and Friends, Sara Hickman, Christine Albert, and Mark Rubin.
Those attending are welcome to picnic on the grounds of the museum’s 2.5 acres. Food and dessert trucks will be on site.
The museum is resuming normal hours of operation after being closed for renovations since October 2012. The work entailed replacing the roof, reconfigured exhibit space and continuing work on the grounds that restored the property to its original prairie landscape.
The museum’s hours are noon to 5 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday. Admission is always free. More information is available at elisabetneymuseum.org.
About the Elisabet Ney Museum
The Elisabet Ney Museum is the former studio and includes the portrait collection created by 19th century sculptor Elisabet Ney. The museum offers a range of educational programs, exhibits, special events, workshops and lectures throughout the year.
In 1892, European portrait sculptress Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor of notables.
At Formosa, Ney sculpted legendary Texans, including Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston. Ney also assembled at her American studio portraits of European notables, including King Ludwig II of Bavaria, Otto von Bismarck, Arthur Schopenhauer and Jacob Grimm.
At the turn of the 19th century, Elisabet Ney’s studio became a gathering place for influential Texans drawn to “Miss Ney” and to the stimulating discussions of politics, art and philosophy that took place there. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
The Elisabet Ney Museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places based on its significance as the former American studio of Elisabet Ney.