Looking for some ideas of fun things to do with the whole family this summer that won't break your piggy bank? Central Texas cities offer many free, family-friendly events. Take a look at some of them below.
- Bat flights at S. Congress Street Bridge
- Coolest Book Club in the World - Students learn how to read with style at this four-part summer camp.
- Creative Arts Society 14th Anniversary Exhibition - Family-friendly exhibit including pastels, oil, watercolor, acrylics, fiber art, photography, stained glass, and more.
- Nature Challenge - The goal of Texas Nature Challenge is to get families and kids outdoors by visiting as many participating parks and nature areas in Texas as they can. At each site, participants complete activity challenges designed for family fun and nature exploration.
- Summer Playgrounds Program - Children ages 6 to 12 can attend and participate in activities that promote creativity, teamwork and a healthy lifestyle.
- Kid's Chess Open Play - Learn the basics of how to play chess, or just meet up with other chess fans to play a few games. All ages and abilities welcome.
- Teen free-play gaming - Free-play video games on the Wii, Xbox Kinect and our brand-new Wii U, or join us for traditional board and card games.
- Kid Fish - Youth outreach dedicated to educating and fostering new outdoor enthusiasts
- Summer reading programs - for kids, teens and adults
- Summer reading program for both kids and adults
- Learn how to conserve water and build your own rain barrel
- Mini Maker Faire - Will feature dozens of makers and exhibits and demonstrations of tools and machines.
- Rockin' Crafts - Fun free craft activities for kids at Round Rock Public Library
- Awesome Games - Game designer teaches some of his favorite board games. Play classic games like Clue, Mancala, Boggle, Uno, or try something new.
- Chalk the Walk - Transform the library sidewalk with chalk art.
- Fired Up About Reading - Join San Marcos firefighters for cool stories and a look at their big, red truck.