Austin is a place where something is always going on. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what fun events are taking place, so we're here to help.
Take a look at some of the things going on around town Friday, Feb. 21 through Sunday, Feb. 23:
Friday, Feb. 21:
- Gala of the Royal Horses. 7 p.m. at the Frank Erwin Center. This famous equestrian tour will show off famous horses and a tradition that's been around for a gazillion years. Find out more about the gala here.
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band. 8 p.m. at The Paramount Theatre. If you can't be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras, let New Orleans come to you.
- University of Texas Symphony Orchestra. 8 p.m. at The Long Center. If jazz isn't your favorite, enjoy the classics performed by talented college students. This event is partnered with the Butler School of Music.
- Les Misérables benefit performance. 7:30 p.m. at Center Stage Texas Theatre. Don't worry, Russell Crowe won't be in this production.
- 5th annual Retro Dance Party. 8 p.m. at The Parish. Give yourself an 80s or 90s makeover and help benefit the Austin Children's Shelter with this giant dance party. Formerly called the New Wave Ball, the party will feature costume contests, an auction and hit dance music from your past.
Saturday, Feb. 22:
- Illuminate Austin Walk. 5 p.m. at Mueller Lake Park. Help support SafePlace with this family-friendly walk as luminaries light the path. Beauty, exercise and helping a great cause? Yes please.
- Poetry Out Loud. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Bullock Texas State History Museum. Watch student poets compete for a chance to move on to nationals.
- 2014 Austin RV Expo. 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the Austin Convention Center. Check out the latest in recreational vehicles whether you're planning to take a cross-country road trip or threaten your kids with one.
- 15th annual African American Community Heritage Festival. 1 to 5 p.m. at Huston-Tillotson University. Celebrate Black History Month will this free and family-friendly event.
- Come and Shave It: 1 p.m. at The Mohawk. Eighth annual Austin Beard and Moustache Competition. Men, enter the contest if you think you have the best facial hair. Ladies, come watch men with facial hair compete. This is a win-win situation for all.
- ATX Bacon and Beer Festival. 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. at The Marchesa Hall and Theatre. We don't even have to explain how awesome this inaugural event sounds.
- 11th annual Art Night Austin. 7 p.m. to 12 a.m. at Women & Their Work. Spend your Saturday checking out awesome art work and enjoying an after party with someone named DJ Cactus Bath.
- Justin Timberlake Sing-Along. 10 p.m. at Alamo Drafthouse Ritz. Enjoy the music of JT while dancing and wearing ties. He brought sexy back and so can you.
- "Wicked." 2 p.m. at Bass Concert Hall. Enjoy this favorite Broadway show and prequel to "The Wizard of Oz." You'll definitely be popular with all of your intellectual friends.
Sunday, Feb. 23:
- 21st Austin Jugglefest. 10 a.m. at Texas School for the Deaf. This annual event is one of the largest juggling festivals in the country.
- Big Band Brunch. 12 p.m. at Banger's Sausage House and Beer Garden. The only thing that can make Sunday brunch better is live music, especially from The Boss Street Brass Band.
- Master Pancake: Choose Your Own Pancake. 7 p.m. at Alamo Drafthouse Village. The audience will pick out a movie and then watch while Master Pancake makes fun of it on the spot. These guys are hilarious, so it's a great way to forget about the "Sunday blues."
Find more events listed on our Community Calendar.
On a budget? Check out ways to save money around town with Terri Gruca's Smart Money Blog.