Austin is a place where something is always going on. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what fun events are taking place, so we're here to help.
Take a look at some of the things going on around town Friday, Feb. 7 through Sunday, Feb. 9:
Friday, Feb. 7:
- Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony Party: 8 p.m. at Russian House.
- Stargazing at McKinney Roughs: 9:30 p.m. at McKinney Roughs Nature Park in Cedar Creek.
- Love Bites Sing-Along: 10 p.m. at Alamo Drafthouse Village. Kick off the week of Valentine's Day with power ballad music videos from the 80s and 90s. Make sure you wear tons of hairspray and metal spikes.
Saturday, Feb. 8:
- Austin Farmer's Market. 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at Republic Square Park.
- The Cast of Impractical Jokers: 7:30 p.m. at The Paramount Theatre. Check out this interactive comedy show full of improv, videos and more. Inspired by the hit show on TruTV.
- Gloria Trevi: 8 p.m. at ACL Live.
- Kite Making Workshop: 1-3 p.m. at Dove Springs Recreation Center. This FREE event will help you get your kite ready for the annual Zilker Park Kite Festival (March 2).
- Mid-Winter Festival: 1 to 9 p.m. at Dougherty Arts Center. Escape the winter blues with local bluegrass, blues, celtic and other cultural music.
Sunday, Feb. 9:
- Jason Reitman & "Up In The Air": Live From the Director's Chair: 7 p.m. at Bullock Texas State History Museum. "Up In The Air" was nominated for six Academy Awards and won a Golden Globe. Reitman will speak about the journey and success of the 2009 film starring George Clooney (unfortunately he won't be there).
- Valentines Card-Making Workshop: 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Craft. What's better than a hand-made Valentine's Day card for you loved ones? Probably a boat, but those are expensive.
- Texas Longhorns vs. Iowa State Cyclones (women's basketball): 2 p.m. at the Frank Erwin Center.
- Gospel Brunch starring the Durdens: 10:30 a.m. at Stubb's BBQ.
- Top Austin Model 2014 Showcase: 7 p.m. at North Door.
- Family Day at Umlauf: 12-4 p.m. at the Umlauf Sculpture Garden and Museum. Celebrate urban birds and enjoy free yoga and sculpture demonstrations.
More events are listed on our Community Calendar.
Save money with Terri Gruca's Smart Money Blog.