Austin is a place where something is always going on. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what fun events are taking place, so we're here to help.
Take a look at some of the things going on around town Friday, Jan. 17 through Sunday, Jan. 19:
Friday, Jan. 17:
- "American Idiot" at 8 p.m. at Bass Concert Hall (through Sunday). This musical is based on the music of Green Day. 90s kids, rejoice! See KVUE's coverage of the event here.
- Esther's Follies Presents: Lone Star State O' the Union. 8 p.m. (through Saturday). Austin's favorite variety show is back with a new year of material and a special show dedicated to the Texas Legislature. Poking fun at politicians is always a good time.
- 2014 Austin Boat and Travel Trailer Show. 12 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Austin Convention Center (through Sunday). Make sure you bring your flippie-floppies and nautical-themed pashmina afghan.
Saturday, Jan. 18:
- Swingin' the Blitz: 1940s WWII Costume Party at 8 p.m. at Firehouse Hostel and Lounge. Dress up and go back in time to 1941 London to enjoy jazz and vintage cocktails. Make sure you start saying things are "swell" and "peachy."
- Texas Longhorns vs. Iowa State Cyclones at 3 p.m. at the Frank Erwin Center. Who can say no to concession stand nachos and some hoops?
- Waka Flocka Flame at 8 p.m. at The Infest. Fun fact: His real name is Juaquin Malphurs.
Sunday, Jan. 19:
- Afternoon in the Garden: Forts and Faerie Homes from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Zilker Botanical Garden. Enjoy the beautiful weather and great outdoors by creating things out of natural materials.
- 2014 3M Half Marathon at 7 a.m. The marathon is celebrating 20 years in Austin and is part of the Austin Distance Challenge.
- The Beach Boys with Christopher Cross at 8 p.m. at ACL Live. Can you believe the boys made their debut 50 years ago?!
More events are listed on our Community Calendar.
Save money with Terri Gruca's Smart Money Blog.