Austin is a place where something is always going on. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what fun events are taking place, so we're here to help.
Take a look at some of the things going on around town Friday, Jan. 31 through Sunday, Feb. 2:
Friday, Jan. 31:
- Master Pancake: "The Notebook." 7 p.m. at Alamo Drafthouse Ritz. Hilarious comedians make fun of this romantic drama and will make you super happy that you secretly hated the film and/or are single.
- Hip Hop Hooray: 7 p.m. at Cedar Street Courtyard. Three dancer/singer/rappers will show off their musical skills and take you back in time to the 90s.
- "ILLNESS": 8 p.m. at Blue StarLite Urban Mini Drive-In. This "short film with a BIG message" has won at tons of film festivals and has Texas roots. Watch the trailer here. Go here for ticket information.
- Ultimate '90s Party: 10 p.m. at Alamo Drafthouse Slaughter Lane. Dance off the work week to hit songs from your childhood (TLC and Alanis!). Make sure you wear your parachute pants and jean jackets.
Saturday, Feb. 1:
- 2014 Chinese New Year Festival: 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Asian American Resource Center. Celebrate the year of the horse with music, food and fun for the whole family.
- Carnaval Brasileiro 2014: 8 p.m. at the Palmer Events Center. Celebrate Brazilian-style Mardi Gras where you'll find awesome music food, and VERY colorful costumes.
- Puppy Bowl at Austin Humane Society. It doesn't get any cuter than the "Denver Barkers" taking on the "Seattle Seadogs." See KVUE's coverage here.
- Architects of Air. At the Long Center. This awesome luminarium returns to the West Lawn through Feb. 2. It's really neat, you should totally go. And send photos to KVUE. Thanks. (Go here for photos from last year.)
- Create Your Own Rock Art: 11 a.m. at the Bullock Texas State History Museum.
- KOOP Radio's 19th Birthday Pajama Party: 9 p.m. at Spider House Cafe and Ballroom. Get in your PJ's and help celebrate nearly 20 years of community radio with live music and fun.
- Free Workout In the Park: 10 a.m. at Zilker.
- Lou Reed Music: An Austin Tribute: 7 p.m. at The Texas Union: Cactus Cafe.
- 12th Street East End Black Heritage Festival: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Rosewood Park.
- Austin Modern Homes Tour: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Launch787.
Sunday, Feb. 2:
- Super Bowl Party. Gourdough's Public House. Free hot wings and TV's covering every wall.
- Just Say No to Sports Bars Super Bowl Party: 4 p.m. at the North Door. This party comes with an open bar, pizza and a 25-foot HD screen with surround sound.
- First Sundays at the Bullock Museum: 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Bullock Texas State History Museum.
- Hooked on Mueller: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Mueller Lake Park. About 1,200 rainbow trout will be released into the lake, and you can catch them and cook them! Must bring your own fishing gear.
- Mueller Farmers' Market:10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Buy some vegetables for that fish.
- Gospel Brunch: Bells of Joy: 10:30 a.m. at Stubb's BBQ. Nothing is better than BBQ and gospel music, especially when we have beautiful weather outside!
More events are listed on our Community Calendar.
Save money with Terri Gruca's Smart Money Blog.