We all know Austin is a place where something is always going on. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what fun events are taking place, so we're here to help!
Take a look at what's going on around town Friday, Aug. 23 through Sunday, Aug. 25.
Friday, Aug. 23:
- Bat Paddle on Lady Bird Lake. Arrive at the Rowing Dock (2418 Stratford Drive) no later than 7 p.m. Then the group will stand up paddle to see the bats fly out of the Congress Avenue bridge! Paddle leaves at 7:45 p.m. More information is here.
- Funny or Die's Oddball Comedy and Curiosity Festival presents Dave Chappelle, Flight of the Conchords and other hilarious folks (including Kristen Schaal!) at 5 p.m. at the Austin360 Amphitheater. More information here.
Saturday, Aug. 24:
- 9th annual Night of the Bat: Ann Richards Bridge (Congress Avenue) from 4 p.m. to midnight. Event is $7 at the gate (cash only). Go here for more information on this fun festival!
- 101X and Pluckers present the Wing Bowl Wing Eating Contest at Pluckers in Round Rock (300 Mays Crossing) at 5 p.m. There will be wing-eating competitions for men, women and children with tons of cool prizes!
- MJ Birthday Bash at Spider House Cafe and Ballroom (2908 Fruth Street) at 9 p.m. There's no other way to celebrate Michael Jackson's birthday than with a dance party! Go here for more information.
- Back to School Bash at Whole Foods at Arbor Trails 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Families are invited to participate in a fun walk/run around the trails at the store. There will be tasty treats and a drawing for those who come. The Blood Mobile will also be on site for donations. And that's not all: The film "Grease" will play in the parking lot at 8:45 p.m.
Sunday, Aug. 25:
- Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Festival at Fiesta Gardens (2101 Jesse E. Segovia Street), 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Event is FREE with a donation of three healthy, nonperishable food items or a cash donation to Capital Area Food Bank of Texas.
- ACL TV Taping: Dawes at ACL Live (310 West Second Street) at 7 p.m. Info here.
Find more events on our Community Calendar.
If you're hoping to beat the heat, check out this information on where to stay cool around Central Texas.
For more ideas on saving money around town, head to Terri Gruca's Smart Money Blog.