Earlier Thursday, Good Morning America ran a story about all the nasty bacteria found in our makeup. It’s not all that surprising considering most of us keep our makeup much longer than we should.
So here are some helpful tips to make sure your makeup stays safe.
Tips to Help Keep Your Makeup Clean:
- Sharpen your eye and lip pencils to remove the bacteria on the outer layers. Also use diluted bleach and makeup remover to clean your sharpener.
- Wipe down your lipstick, or shave off the top of it with a blade especially if you have shared it with someone else.
- Keep the lids and caps tightly closed. If you lost them, throw it out.
- Use disposable applicators or wash your brushes every few weeks.
- Wipe down your makeup bag and makeup drawers with diluted bleach and makeup remover.
Makeup Shelf Life:
iVillage offers up these suggestions for how long you should keep your makeup:
- Blush and Bronzer: 2 years
- Concealer: 12-18 months
- Cream Blush: 12-18 months
- Cream Eye shadow: 12-18 months
- Eyeliner: 2 years
- Liquid eye liner : 3-6 months
- Lip gloss: 18-24 months
- Lip liner: 2 years
- Lipstick: 2 years
- Mascara: 3 months
- Nail Color: 1 year
- Oil free foundation: 1 year
- Powder: 2 years
- Powder Eye shadow: 2 years
- Eyeliner and Lip Liner: 2 years