This is always a topic of interest and even more for those of us looking to cut back our holiday spending.
So this year Consumer Reports surveyed 1,900 Americans to see how much they give in tips.
Here’s what researchers found:
- Cleaning person: Average $35
- Child’s teacher: Average $20
- Hairdresser: Average $20
- Newspaper carrier: Average $15
- Manicurist: Average $15
- Barber: Average $10
- Pet care provider: Average $20
- Lawn crew: Average $25
- Mail carrier: Average $20
- Garbage collector: Average $20
Consumer Reports suggestions seem to be in line with Kiplinger.com which suggests giving "your babysitter an extra one or two night's pay."
Real Simple has an easy spreadsheet you can print to make sure you're thinking of everyone you should be this time of year.
You can also find tips about tipping at The Emily Post Institute.