This week you'll find some fun Easter Egg hunts, a few freebies and some terrific restaurant deals.
The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is having another one of its family nature nights. Friday, April 2nd, 6 to 9pm you can learn about the butterflies that pollinate all the flowers. See the kinds of plants they rely on for food and take a guided hike to learn to identify the butterflies. Admission is $1, or free for members.
Easter Egg Hunts
Then don’t forget Easter Sunday, April 4th from 1 to 2pm the Second Annual Wildflower Center Egg Hunt will be held.
Just as a side note, in case you want to know where to find the best wildflowers there is a running tally on the Wildflower web site. Everyday people sign in to tell you where they’ve spotted some of the flowers.
Green Easter Egg Hunt
Austin Farmers' Market hosts a truly Green Easter Egg Hunt for kids of all ages at its new in-the-park location. Enjoy an egg hunt (no sugar; no plastic; just real farm eggs filled with seeds!) Kids under 5 will get to hunt first; then 5 and over will be let loose to find eggs.
Austin Farmers' Market
Republic Square Park, 4th and Guadalupe
Saturday, April 3
10:00am - egg hunt begins!
Market runs 9am-1pm.
IKEA is giving away free breakfasts April 2nd through April 4th. It includes eggs, bacon and potatoes and a small coffee. Sorry not valid at IKEA Direct, or the Houston or Hicksville locations.
Now through Friday, April 2nd from 5 to 8pm Mighty Fine is giving away free “champagne” hand-dipped shakes (no alcohol in here) just champagne mangoes. It’s part of celebrating the fact that Mighty Fine was given the 2010 Texas Award for Performance Excellence.
Go Local Austin Deals
The Go Local Austin card is a great way to support local businesses. I’ve mentioned this card here before. You spend $10 a year on the card and it gets you discounts at hundreds of businesses. And each week you’ll find some special deals. Here are this week's special deals:
- The Austin Lyric Opera is offering tickets to Hansel & Gretel from April 24th through May 2nd for $10 to kids 12 and under. Just mention the code Go Local when you call 472-5992.
- Zhi Tea Gallery at 4607 Bohm Street, is offering 20 percent of all Artisan Green and White Teas.
First Saturday on South First
Businesses on South First offer some terrific deals the first Saturday of every month. That means this Saturday, April 2nd. You can scope out all the deals ahead of time on Facebook or the Austin Independent Business Alliance web site.
Below are a few examples of the deals you’ll find:
- Amelia's Retro-Vogue & Relics 2213 South First. Amelia's Retro-Vogue & Relics is offering a 20% discount on anything with Flowers on it! Any dress, hat, skirt, shirt, blouse, coat, purse, jewelry, scarf, paintings, you name it! Items must be over $15 original price.
- Mana Culture 2214 South First. Mana Culture will be offering 15% off their organic jewelry collection. Or, mention First Saturday, and receive $5 off total purchase. Please join us for wine, friends, and fashion!
- Pangaea Trading Co. 2210 South First. Pangaea's Grand Opening! They will be doing 10% Off everything, and have cupcakes from PolkaDots Cupcake Factory!
- Redline Hookah/South First Smokes 2101 South First. $10 Hookah bowls and 20% off hookah and pipe purchases.
- Once Over Coffee Bar 2009 South First. Get ready for hot weather at Once Over Coffee Bar by enjoying an organic and delicious frozen Mocha, frozen Vanilla Latte or frozen Chai for only $3 (that's 25% off)!
- Morning Star Trading Co.1919 South First. 10% off sterling silver necklaces and bracelets for First Saturday.
- The 420 Spot -1603 South First. The 420 Spot will offer 10% off on any purchase April 3.
- Lovely Austin Boutique 1106 South First. Spring into Lovely Austin Boutique April 3, and enjoy a complimentary glass of Sangria and take advantage of 10% off all Lovely fashions and accessories.
Events for Families in for Texas Relays
If you're in town for the Texas Relays this weekend you can check out some of the events taking place all weekend long here. There are several free things to take advantage of and a few that cost some money, but you'll find them all on this one site.
Local Dress Shop Deals
Still need an Easter Sunday outfit? Adelante, a locally owned women's dress shop is having a sale this Friday , April 2nd and Saturday, April 3rd. You can save 20 percent on one item by mentioning the keyword "Peep".
Restaurant.com is having another 80 percent off sale. Use the coupon code CHOW through April 6th to score the savings before you check out. That means $25 coupons that normally cost $10 can be purchased for just $2.
Free baby formula sample
Get a free sample of Parent’s Choice Infant Formula through Walmart.
Free Music Downloads
- In fact each week Walmart offers up a bunch of freebies including free music downloads.
- Urban Outfitters is offering 25 free music downloads called Live from Austin 2010. You have to go here to download the tracks. These bands all played during SXSW. Not sure how long these songs will be available to download free.
Southwest Airlines is having a great sale right now. You can find airfare for as little as $49 one way. The deals are good for travel from April 12 through June 10th but you have to purchase the tickets by April 1st.