This week you'll find lots of family fun, music and back-to-school savings. Enjoy!
This looks like a blast for families. Outside the Long Center this Saturday, August 10th starting at 8am and going until 4pm there will be a fun festival the entire family can enjoy called Bubblepalooza. It’s the second year for the festival. There will be music, chalk art, water fun, and most importantly, BUBBLES! Bubblepalooza is back for round two, and this time it’s going to be even bubblier! Come spend a whole day of fun with us and our friends at Toy Joy and rock out with your little ones to the sounds of Austin’s favorite kid rock bands! Trailers will include: Ice Cream Social, Yeti, Wright Brothers Dairy, New Orleans Poboy and Gumbo Shop, Full House BBQ, Nina’s Carnitas, Wholly Kabob, Grilled Cheese Truck, and more! Admission into Dell Hall for Bubble Trouble is $5 at the door. The schedule is below:
Also this Saturday, August 10th you’re invited to get a free reusable bag at the Cedar Park farmer’s market at Lakeline Mall at the Coffee with KVUE Tweet Up. You can come hang out with many of us and pick up some fruit and veggies at the farmer’s market too.
Each year the second Saturday of August is the Barton Springs Fest. Enjoy a full day of fun, outdoor and adventure learning as well as food, drinks and live music. The Save Our Springs Alliance says this is what you can expect this year on August 10th:
- Hike and Snorkel Eco-tours, from 8 - 10 a.m. Tours last 45 minutes. To sign up contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is limited.
- Diving Competition from 9 to 10:30 a.m.
- Barton Springs University from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Speakers and workshops along the south fence under the trees.
- Live music from 4 - 7 p.m.
- Free watermelon
For more information, visit this web site.
This weekend is your chance to see the Texas Longhorns in action. There are three open practices at Denius Fields on the UT campus this week:
- Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 6:30 p.m.
- Friday, August 9, 2013 at 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 10, 2013 at 7 p.m.
At the end of each of practice, select groups of players will be available for a limited time, to sign autographs as they leave the field. On Thursday, it will be the offensive linemen, defensive linemen and specialists; on Friday, it will be the linebackers, running backs and tight ends; and on Saturday it will be the quarterbacks, wide receivers and defensive backs. Thanks to Mike Barnes for the info.
For more information go here.
Blanton Summer Family Programs – Thursday, August 8 and Friday, August 9. FREE with museum admission (kids 12 and under are always free and Thursdays are by donation). The Museum hosts an Art Lab on Thursdays and Friday from 9:30am-12:30pm, which is intended for all ages and is an open studio which allows kids to experiment with different types of materials. On Thursdays and Fridays at 10:30am, the Museum will host Story Time Tours, which are 30 minute tours intended for kids ages 3-7. Tour tickets are available at the Visitor Services Desk, and space is limited. On Thursdays and Fridays at 1pm, kids ages 8-13 are encouraged to take Deeper Dives to explore Lifelike, the Blanton’s special exhibition of contemporary art intended to fool the eye, with a special art project (see each week’s project on the Museum’s calendar). Space is limited to 15 participants, and tickets are available from the Visitor Services Desk. Blanton Museum of Art, The University of Texas at Austin, 200 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Looking for more low cost or no cost fun for the family this summer? Be sure to check out the list created by our good friends at Free Fun in Austin.com.
And Livemom.com has even more suggestions broken down by week.
You can save $1 off any order over $10 at Tiff’s Treats this week using the online promotion code: AG1010.
Blues on the Green (White Denim with My Jerusalem and The Preservation)- Wednesday, August 7 at 6:30pm. Every other Wednesday from May 29th to August 7th, Zilker Park will be filled with thousands of people, blankets and lawn chairs, families and music lovers for what is consistently ranked as a top annual entertainment event and has become a staple of the Austin lifestyle and a very casual and comfortable experience.. FREE!! Zilker Park, 2100 Barton Springs Road.
Unplugged at the Grove – Thursday, August 8 at 8pm. FREE!! Join KGSR every Thursday for 24 consecutive weeks at Shady Grove on Barton Springs Road for one of Austin’s longest running free concert series. There’s still no cover charge, $3 Ziegenbock Drafts, and the best music, food, and fun you’ll experience under the clear, warm skies of Austin, Texas! Additional parking is available at the Bicycle Sports Shop right down the street at 517 S. Lamar Blvd. This week, Lincoln Durham will perform. Shady Grove, 1624 Barton Springs Rd.
Free Heart Screenings
This Saturday, August 10th Austin Heart Hospital at 3801 N. Lamar Blvd. is conducing free heart screenings for student athletes ages 14 to 18. You do need to schedule an appointment so call 512-478-3627.
Free car seat safety checks
Texans in Motion at Scott & White are offering free car seat safety checks throughout the summer. You’ll find the dates and locations below. With some of them you will need to call to schedule an appointment.
· 08/13/13- Central Texas Medical Center; 9am – 12pm ; 1301 Wonder World Dr., San Marcos – 78666 ; 512-336-3423
· 08/14/13 - Baby Earth; 9am – 12pm ; 106 E. Old Settlers Blvd., Round Rock – 78664 ; (512) 600-7050
· 08/20/13 - Plug & Play; 9am – 12pm ; 13343 No. Hwy. 183, Austin – 78750
· (512) 336-3423
· 08/21/13 - Marble Falls EMS Station ; 9am – 12pm ; 609 Industrial Blvd., Marble Falls - 78654 ; (830) 693-7277
· 08/22/13 - Luling EMS Station; 10am – 1pm ; 685 S. Hackberry St., Luling – 78648 ; (830) 875-7038
· 08/22/13 - St. David’s Georgetown Hospital; 9am – 12pm ; 2000 Scenic Dr., Georgetown - 78626; (512) 943-1264
- 09/10/13 - Buda Fire Station #2; 10am – 1pm; 151 FM 2001, Buda – 78610; (512) 295-2232
- 09/11/13 - Baby Earth; 10am – 1pm; 106 E. Old Settlers Blvd., Round Rock – 78664; (512) 600-7050
- 09/18/13 - Marble Falls Area EMS Station; 10am – 1pm; 609 Industrial Blvd., Marble Falls - 78654;
- (830) 693-7277
- 09/19/13 - Lockhart Head Start; 10am – 1pm; 1808 W. San Antonio, Lockhart – 78644; (512) 398-7141
- 09/20/13 - Fredericksburg Head Start; 2pm – 5pm; 711 Eagle St., Fredericksburg – 78624; (830) 997-0048
This weekend is tax free weekend so there are lots of ways to save a little bit more on those back-to-school supplies.
Our good friends at Offers.com have put together a great list of back-to-school deals. Thanks Amber!
Below you’ll find some of the best deals collected by our friends at BeFrugal.com. Thanks Jen!
· A&W Restaurants Free Root Beer Float from 2pm-Close On 8/6, Participating locations only. See offer for details.
· Au Bon Pain Free Iced Coffee & Iced Tea On 8/6, From 2pm-6pm on Tuesday. Participating locations only. See offer for details.
· Papa John's Free Large 1-Topping Pizza, When you place an order through FTD.com/papajohns. Participating locations only. See offer for details. Expires: 8/19
· Belle & Clive, Free 2yr Cosmopolitan Subscription w/ $25+ Order, Expires: 8/16, And get 8% Cash Back
· Bluefly Free 2 Year Cosmopolitan Subscription With $25+ Order, Expires: 8/16, And get 8% cash back
· Best Buy Free Camera Bag w/ Select Point-&-Shoot Camera Order, Plus free shipping. Expires: 8/31, Plus get up to 6% Cash Back
· Ray-Ban Free Concert Ticket With $155+ Order, Expires: 10/30, And get 8% Cash Back