This week you’ll find an easy way to get rid of unwanted prescription drugs, the Texas Book festival, plus lots of Halloween fun and fall savings. Enjoy!
One of my favorite events of the year takes place this weekend near the state Capitol -- the Texas Book Festival. The festival takes place October 26 10am to 5pm and 27th 11am to 5pm. Meet dozens of your favorite authors, take the kids to hear terrific stories, meet some of their favorite characters and have your pick of books. It's a great way to inspire a love of reading. This is one of those great festivals that has something for everyone. To check out the schedule go here.
Get rid of old prescription drugs
Lakeway police are one of a number of police agencies teaming up with the DEA for National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. From 10am to 2pm October 26th people can dispose of unwanted and unused prescription drugs free at the department 104 Cross Creek. To find a location doing the same near you go here.
Halloween/Fall Family Fun
Thursdays in October, Jo’s Coffee on Congress is showing spooky movies under the stars in their parking lot. Bring a chair, your dog and enjoy specials while watching scary movies. The movies start at dusk and are always free. This Thursday, October 24th you can watch Frankenweenie. There’s one more movie on Halloween: Trick R’ Treat.
Sweet Berry Farm is one of my favorite places to go this time of year. You can buy pumpkins, stuff your own scarecrow, take a hayride, wind your way through the corn maze, pick flowers and your kids can jump til their heart is content. It’s free to go, pumpkins and some of the other activities do cost, but it is a full days worth of fun. Sweet Berry Farm is open 8:30am to 5pm except for Wednesdays. Sweet Berry Farm is located at 1801 FM1980, Marble Falls. (the attached picture is from our trip last year)
The Elgin Christmas Tree Farm offers some terrific fall fun too. This weekend and next is the pumpkin festival. Admission is $6 but it gets you lots of great things including hayrides, pumpkin painting and more. You’ll pay extra to decorate a pumpkin.
Halloween is not far away, and the North Austin Y, has lots planned for families.
Spooky Snacks and Creepy Crafts!
Thursday, October 24, 2013
All ages welcome
$10 for the whole family OR $5 for an individual child
Get in the Halloween spirit and join us in making healthy, Halloween-themed snacks and crafts that the whole family can enjoy. Fun for all ages; families are welcome.
Gather up your little ghosts and goblins for some FREE FAMILY FUN at the Y; there will be tricks and treats! Games, candy and a costume parade all in a safe environment. Come in costumes .
The Austin Public Library has a bunch of Halloween fun planned for the rest of the month. From spooky films for kids, arts and crafts, costume contests, face painting, altars to honor the dead and puppet shows. All events are free and open to the public. For more information go here. Thanks Kanya for the tips!
Weeknight Cinema: Shocks in Shacks
Milwood Branch, 12500 Amherst Dr., 512-974-9880
Tuesday, October 22, 6:30 PM
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, 2010 (R) Director: Eli Craig
Tuesday, October 29, 6:30 PM
The Cabin in the Woods, 2012 (R) Director: Drew Goddard
2nd Annual Halloween Family Fun and Film Fest
Yarborough Branch, 2200 Hancock Dr., 512-974-8820
Saturday, October 26, 10 AM – 3 PM
Join the fun arts and crafts; food and drinks; and a movie for the whole family.
10:30 AM Monsters, Inc., 2001 (G) Director: Pete Docter
Noche de Muertos
Southeast Branch, 5803 Nuckols Crossing Rd., 512-974-8840
Wednesday, October 30, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Come and celebrate this special day with us with Crafts, Stories and Songs!
7 PM We will end our celebration with Dead Family Díaz, a Shadow Puppet Play presented by Literature LIVE! They are also making a Day of the Dead Altar to honor loved ones who have passed. If you’d like to contribute to the altar, the deadline to bring photos is October 19. They will make a copy of your photo and return the original to you.
2nd Annual Monster Festival
Ruiz Branch, 1600 Grove Blvd., 512-974-7500
Thursday, October, 31, 5 to 7 PM
Come dressed as your favorite superhero or monster for the costume contest! Get your face painted like a monster at our face painting station. Get creative at our craftBOOths and let the monsters flow. Create your own scary story: write, draw, color, and more. Make your own paper monster!
6 PM Monsters, Inc., 2001 (G) Director: Pete Docter
All ages welcome! Snacks and goodies bags will be provided on first comes first served basis.
Día de los Muertos Celebration
Cepeda Branch, 651 N. Pleasant Valley Rd., 512-974-7372
Saturday, November 2, 1-4:30
Join in for crafts and treats! Decorate Sugar Skulls to take home!
2 PM Dead Family Diaz Puppet Show by Literature LIVE!
Free Fun in Austin.com has put together a great list of free city of Austin Halloween events. Check them out here. They run now through the end of October.
Lots of dentists offer incentives for kids to donate their candy. But Dr. Gary Cash is opening up his office on Halloween from 8am to 6pm so kids can get a free toothbrush. The office is located at 1500 W. 38th Street #48, Austin, Texas 78731. For more information gohere.
Our good friends at BeFrugal.com sent me these retail and dining deals. Thanks Jen.
· Corner Bakery Cafe Free Pumpkin Latte or Other Small Espresso with the purchase of breakfast. Participating locations only. See offer for details. Expires: 10/29/2013
· Ninety-Nine Restaurant Free Kids Meal Every Sunday In October, With the purchase of adult entree. Participating locations only. See offer for details. Expires: 10/27/2013
· Outback Steakhouse Free Drink with Unlimited Soup, Salad & Breadstick Order, Non-alcoholic drinks only. Participating locations only. See offer for details. Expires: 10/27/2013
1. Bloomingdale's Free Black Kenneth Cole NY Tote with any full price purchase of Kenneth Cole NY. Expires: 10/27/2013
2. Canon Free Paper with $40+ Ink, Paper, or Combo Value Packs, Expires: 11/2/2013
3. Microsoft Store Free $10 Xbox One Gift Card with select Pre-Ordered games. Expires: 11/23/2013
4. Buca Di Beppo Free Pasta with Select Entree Order On 10/25, Dine in only at participating locations. See offer for details. Expires: 10/25/2013
5. Denny's Free Cup Of Bold Coffee, Participating locations only. See offer for details. Expires: 11/4/2013
6. Long John Silver's Free Ciabatta Jack Sandwich with the purchase of an Individual Side and 20oz drink. Participating locations only. See offer for details. Expires: 10/23/2013
Below are some terrific Kids Eat Free Offers for Halloween, Thursday, October 31st. Thanks Katie.
- Olive Garden: From Oct. 28 – Oct. 31, free kids meal with the purchase of each adult entrée by signing up for Olive Garden’s email newsletter. To sign up, visit the restaurant’s website. Must present coupon at time of purchase.
- Red Lobster: From now through Nov. 10, free kids meal with the purchase of each adult dinner entrée by signing up for Red Lobster’s Fresh Catch Club or visiting the restaurant’s Facebook and Twitter pages. This offer is valid Monday – Thursday only and a printed coupon must be presented at time of purchase.
- LongHorn Steakhouse: From Oct. 28 – Oct. 31, free kids meal with the purchase of each adult entrée by signing up for LongHorn’s Hospitality Club on the restaurant’s website or Facebook page. Must present printed coupon at time of purchase.
Here are some of the top deals of the week from Austin based Offers.com. Thanks Amber!