Terri's Deals of the Week

Recent posts
More
Find posts by keyword
Find posts by date

Print
Email
|

Baby video monitors recalled

Baby video monitors recalled

Credit: CPSC

Two children have been strangled by the video cords. The company says you should keep the cords at least three feet away from children.

by Terri Gruca

Bio | Email | Follow: @TerriG_KVUE

kvue.com

Posted on February 13, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Updated Wednesday, Oct 30 at 5:12 PM

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has a warning for parents because of two different problems with video baby monitors. The first is a fire hazard, the second is a strangulation hazard.

The first one involves 58,000 Summer Infant Slim and Secure Video Monitors that have rechargeable batteries that may overheat, rupture and burn. The company has received five reports of ruptured batteries, three caused minor property damage.

The color video monitors have unmarked MP and BK rechargeable batteries. They were sold in either silver and white (model #02800) or pink and white (#02805) at Babies R Us from September 2009 through May 2010 for about $200.

If you have either of these stop using it immediately and contact Summer Infant between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday at (800) 426-8627 to receive a postage paid envelop to return the defective battery and get a free replacement battery. You can also get more information at the company’s web site.

Summer Infant is also recalling 1.7 million video baby monitors with electrical cords because the cords have caused two stragulations. The company plans to re-label the monitors warning parents and caregivers to keep these cords at least three feet away from any crib.

Over the past year CPSC and the company have received reports of two strangulation deaths of infants with the electrical cords of Summer Infant video baby monitors. In March 2010 a 10-month old girl from Washington, D.C. strangled in her crib in the electrical cord of a Summer Infant video monitor. The monitor camera had been placed on top of the crib rail.

In November 2010 CPSC received a report of a six-month old boy from Conway, S.C., who strangled in the electrical cord of a baby monitor placed on the changing table attached to the crib. In January 2011 CPSC learned the product involved was a Summer Infant video baby monitor.

CPSC and the firm are also aware of a near strangulation incident in which a 20-month old boy from Pittsburg, Pa. was found in his crib with the camera cord wrapped around his neck. The Summer Infant monitor camera was mounted on the wall, but the child was still able to reach the cord. He was freed from the cord without serious injury.

The new labels will be distributed on all Summer Infant video monitors sold between January 2003 and February 2011.

The baby monitors were sold at major retailers, mass merchandisers, and juvenile products stores nationwide for between $60 and $300. They were sold in more than 40 different models, including handheld, digital, and color video monitors. All video monitors include both the camera (placed in the baby’s room) and the hand held device (some models have two hand-held devices) that enable the caregiver to see and/or hear the baby from a specific distance. The brand “Summer” is found on the product.

If you have one of these video monitors make sure all electrical cords are out of arm’s reach of your child. Then contact Summer Infant at (800) 426-8627 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday to receive a new permanent electric cord warning label about the strangulation risk and revised instructions about how to safely mount camera and keep cords out of child’s reach.

In October 2010 CPSC issued a safety alert warning consumers that there had been six reports of strangulation in baby monitor cords since 2004. Since that alert the number of death reports has risen to seven. CPSC has revised the safety alert Infants Can Strangle in Baby Monitor Cords.

You can read more tips about how to put your baby to sleep safely here.

Print
Email
|