Before a police officer responded to a reported stabbing in northwest Austin Sunday morning and shot the suspect, the suspect allegedly stabbed the victim at least 10 times and left him on the ground for more than five hours, according to an affidavit for the suspect's arrest.

According to the affidavit for Quentin Wiles, 59, he and the victim are in a 15-year dating relationship and have been living with each other for the last eight years. They currently live at 4022 Greenhill Place near Mesa Drive and Jollyville Road. At around 5 a.m. Sunday, the victim said that while he was in bed, Wiles approached and sat on the edge of the bed. The victim reported Wiles said, "he was sorry that all of the money is gone, and that on Tuesday things are going to get bad," the affidavit said.

Then, without warning, Wiles allegedly began stabbing the victim in the torso. The victim attempted to flee, and made his way toward the front hallway, where Wiles allegedly stabbed him with a bigger knife. "While trying to physically resist the assault, (the victim) stated he slipped on his blood on the floor," and Wiles allegedly straddled him and stabbed him again.

According to the affidavit, the victim said he thought he was going to die as Wiles left him there for more than five hours.

Austin police said that at around 10:30 a.m., officers were called to the home in regard to a reported disturbance. One caller told police that they heard a man say that he had a gun and would use it, police said. Another caller said the suspect appeared to be suicidal.

The scene of the officer-involved shooting.

When officers arrived, the 69-year-old stabbing victim was found and taken to a hospital in critical condition.

As an officer approached Wiles, he allegedly began to walk toward the officer and refused to put his weapon down despite multiple commands to do so, police said. The officer -- later identified as Officer Jason Canales -- was wearing a body camera when he began to walk backward as the suspect allegedly continued to refuse to drop his weapon. The officer then shot Wiles, according to the affidavit.

The officers then began to perform first aid on the suspect after removing the knife from his hand, Austin Interim Police Chief Brian Manley said at a press conference later that day. He was taken to a hospital for the gunshot wound and is in serious condition. According to the Austin Police Department, no officers were injured.

Neighbors continued to come out of their houses to try to learn what the commotion was about.

"It's just surreal, you know what I mean? We're just not used to it," said Robyn Nunis, who has lived in the neighborhood for four years. "It's hard to believe really, it makes me sad, very sad. I feel for all the families; the families involved with these two gentlemen, feel sorry for the neighbors that saw it, it's just very difficult."

Wiles is charged with "aggravated assault serious bodily injury." He is currently in the Travis County Jail with a bond set at $1 million.

Officer Canales has been with the police department for eight years and has been placed on administrative duty per standard procedure.

Multiple agencies are investigating.