A HazMat task force responded to a gas leak on the 900 block of San Antonio Street Saturday morning, after a construction crew hit a 10-inch gas line in the area.
Austin Fire said the "high-pressure leak" started around 10:30 a.m. Christy Penders with the Texas Gas Service said the contractor was working in the street and hit one of the natural gas lines that run underground.
Austin Fire helped alert everyone near the area. The Faulk Central Library was shut down for the rest of the day, and people at Woolridge Square Park were also asked to leave.
KVUE News talked to one woman who went to the park to eat her lunch.
“I’m usually grabbing a bench over there, in the shade. I come back and I see all of this,” said Austinite Jennifer Barber, “I have to go somewhere else.”
Texas Gas Service spokesperson said the process of stopping the gas leak is a long one.
“It takes a while. It’s the digging in the street that can slow things down. There’s a lot of pipes underground, so you just have to do it slow and steady to be careful,” said Penders.
She said the leak was finally isolated and shut off a little after 6 p.m.