When it comes to workplace happiness, there's some good news and some bad news.
According to Comparably -- a compensation, culture and careers monitoring website -- there's a lot of unhappiness at workplaces in the U.S.
They reported that results of their survey that nearly one-third of employees think their bosses hurt company culture; roughly 25 percent said that their manager didn't care about them as a person and almost 40 percent of employees thought that they could do their bosses' job better than they could.
Luckily, there's some good news to balance that out: USA Today reported that there are companies on the other end of the spectrum where employees seem to love their work.
Four companies on the list were located here in Austin.
Bazaarvoice was listed third, Dell ranked sixth, Indeed came in at 18th and National Instruments ranked 24th.
Indeed Senior Vice President Paul Darcy was excited about the ranking and credited it to Indeed's focus on employees.
"We're a culture that prides itself on open communication," he said. "Ideas coming from anywhere across the organization."
Their offices on West Fifth street were filled with employee perks like cafeterias, lounges and games -- little steps that Darcy said go a long way towards making a better environment.
"For most people, after family and health, career is the most important thing," he said. "That shared purpose and passion is an incredible motivator for our employees."
National Instruments sent the following statement about their ranking:
We are passionate about this topic. It’s an area we have been working on and it will remain a focus. As a company, we are striving to understand what makes our best leaders successful to equip even more of our people leaders to drive meaningful and authentic interactions with their employees. Our managers steward the development of the company’s most important asset: it’s people. Therefore, we are committed to focusing more on how we celebrate and reinforce what it means to be a great manager in order to support and incentivize good leadership behaviors.
Best managers at large companies
(In alphabetical order)
1. Anthem, Indianapolis, Ind.
2. Atlassian, San Francisco, Calif.
3. Bazaarvoice, Austin, Texas
4. Convergys, Cincinnati, Ohio
5. Cornerstone OnDemand, Santa Monica, Calif.
6. Dell, Austin, Texas
7. Dennys, Spartanburg, S.C.
8. Enterprise Rent-A-Car, St. Louis, Mo.
9. Facebook, Menlo Park, Calif.
11. GitHub, San Francisco, Calif.
12. GoDaddy, Scottsdale, Ariz.
13. Golden Hippo Media, Woodland Hills, Calif.
14. Google, Mountain View, Calif.
15. Groupon, Chicago, Ill.
16. HCA Holdings, Nashville, Tenn.
18. Indeed, Austin, Texas
19. Insight Global, Atlanta, Ga.
20. Intuit, Mountain View, Calif.
21. Jive Communications, Orem, Utah
22. Liberty Mutual Insurance, Boston, Mass.
23. LinkedIn, Sunnyvale, Calif.
24. National Instruments, Austin, Texas
25. Netflix, Los Gatos, Calif.
26. Nvidia, Santa Clara, Calif.
27. Overstock.com, Salt Lake City, Utah
28. Pegasystems, Cambridge, Mass.
29. Pluralsight, Farmington, Utah
30. Publix Super Markets, Lakeland, Fla.
31. Quicken Loans, Detroit
32. ReachLocal, Woodland Hills, Calif.
33. SAIC, McLean, Va.
34. Salesforce, San Francisco, Calif.
36. Schneider Electric, Andover, Mass.
37. SolarCity, San Mateo, Calif.
38. Sunrun, San Francisco, Calif.
39. Sykes Enterprises, Tampa, Fla.
40. T-Mobile, Bellevue, Wash.
41. Tableau Software, Seattle
42. TeleTech, Englewood, Colo.
43. The Walsh Group, Chicago
45. VMware, Palo Alto, Calif.
46. Wayfair, Boston, Mass.
47. Wolters Kluwer, New York
48. Workfront, Lehi, Utah
49. Zillow, Seattle, Wash.
50. ZipRecruiter, Santa Monica, Calif.
Best managers at small and medium-sized companies
1. Acorns, Irvine, Calif.
2. Baker, Denver, Colo.
3. BizMerlin, Vienna, Va.
4. Boostability, Lehi, Utah
5. Branch Metrics, Palo Alto, Calif.
6. Code.org, Seattle, Wash.
7. Cybereason, Boston, Mass.
8. EdCast, Mountain View, Calif.
9. Envoy, San Francisco, Calif.
10. Faithlife, Bellingham, Wash.
11. Fueled, New York , N.Y.
12. Help Scout, Boston, Mass.
13. HotelTonight, San Francisco, Calif.
14. Lingotek, Lehi, Utah
15. NetCentrics Corporation, Herndon, Va.
16. PandaDoc, San Francisco, Calif.
17. PC Pitstop, Sioux City, Iowa
18. Periscope Data, San Francisco, Calif.
19. Pipedrive, New York, N.Y.
20. RingDNA, San Francisco, Calif.
21. SiteTraker, Palo Alto, Calif.
22. SnackNation, Los Angeles, Calif.
23. TripActions, Menlo Park, Calif.
24. Wave Financial, Toronto, Ont.
25. Widen Enterprises, Madison, Wis.