Both the prosecution and defense rested their cases on Wednesday in the trial for Endicott McCray -- the suspect in a 2016 Downtown Austin shooting that left one woman dead and four injured.

Police believe McCray opened fire in the 200 block of Sixth Street just after 2:15 a.m. on July 31, 2016. Police allege McCray got into an altercation with his brother-in-law when McCray pulled out a weapon and fired. Teqnika Moultrie, 31, was walking with her wife and friends when she was fatally struck by one of the rounds. The other four were treated for “gunshot wounds to the chest, thigh, ankle and buttock,” police said.


Murder warrant issued for suspect in Sixth Street shooting

APD: Sixth Street shooting victim likely not intended target

Alleged Sixth Street shooter waives extradition hearing

Man charged in Sixth Street shooting facing additional charges

On the second day of the trial, the lead detective in the case took the stand, in addition to the Lone Star Fugitive Task Force members who helped track him down in Atlanta.

Austin Police Detective David Fugitt took the stand, testifying that McCray "drastically" changed his look while traveling from Austin to Atlanta in the hours after the shooting.

Members of the Lone Star Fugitive Task Force testified to finding McCray just outside of Atlanta near the MARTA bus and train station.

Wednesday, jurors watched surveillance video of McCray filling up with gas less than an hour after the shooting.

Law enforcement said they believe McCray then switched cars with his sister, and eventually hopped on board a boxcar train in Birmingam, Ala., taking it into Georgia.

Fugitt also testified that McCray kept turning his phone off and on in those hours after the shooting, and eventually got a new cell phone. He said family members told police he would call them from a blocked number.

During questioning, defense attorneys brought doubt to the tactics that were used to question the gunshot victims in the days after the shooting, saying they weren't given a lineup of suspects, but only shown the picture of McCray.

Both sides expect to give their closing arguments Thursday morning, then the decision will be up to the jury.

McCray officially entered a not guilty plea.

Follow reporter Christy Millweard on Twitter for updates from the courtroom: