An Ausitin police sergeant nearly passed out early Saturday morning while driving a patrol car that may have released carbon monoxide in the cabin, KVUE's and the Austin American-Statesman's Tony Plohetski confirmed.

Interim Police Chief Brian Manley is considering purchasing carbon monoxide detectors for patrol cars in response to the incident, Plohetski learned.

The sergeant was driving a Ford Explorer just after midnight in southwest Austin when carbon monoxide gas is believed to have leaked into the passenger compartment. He was transported by ambulance to an area hospital and was later released.

The Ford SUVs have been under scrutiny for the potential release of the poisonous gas. Explorers made between 2011 and 2015 are affected. The gas is most likely released when the vehicle is accelerating and the air conditioner is on.