For our first investigation, we met up with Austin Paranormal Investigation Team Manager and Senior Investigator Bill Pappin and Investigators Debbie Weber and Sandra Lopez. First things first, the team familiarized us with their equipment (which is impressive):
- Custom-made Camera Rig: This bad boy has three GoPro cameras that Bill personally modified. They film in panoramic fashion. Surrounding them is a full spectrum illuminator, which shines infrared, ultraviolet and standard lighting.
- InfraRed Camera: Custom-designed handheld cameras with infrared beams that can shine over 50 yards. Sandra and Debbie carry these.
- Custom Room Illuminator: This is mounted on a tripod and can illuminate an entire room with infrared light.
- Ghost Cam: This camera stays stationary on a tripod. It is connected to software on Bill’s laptop and can detect fractal, biophysical and thermal movements. Basically, this camera can see changes in the room that we can’t see.
- K2 Meter: This is a handheld meter that scans for electromagnetic fields, which any paranormal investigator will tell you usually indicates a paranormal presence.
- Digital Recorder: Everybody carries a digital audio recorder, so if there are any bumps, whispers or anything else, you’ll have it recorded. These are also crucial for picking up EVPs, or Electronic Voice Phenomenon.
- Flashlight: All of the lights are off during an investigation, so you’re going to need a flashlight. Our flashlights could switch between red light, which is preferred, blue light, green light and regular light (in case you get scared).
After we are all familiar with the equipment, it’s time for the first investigation.