Day two of the murder trial of Colby Ray Williamson, the man accused of fatally running over Hutto police Sgt. Chris Kelley with his own patrol car, was more emotional than the first.

It started with Hutto Lt. Dwayne Jones describing what he saw the morning of June 24, 2015, when he arrived on the scene after the defendant already ran Kelley over.

Police said Williamson ran over Sgt. Kelley with his own patrol car when Kelley tried to arrest him for stealing a car. Williamson and his then girlfriend were allegedly on their way to make a drug deal before crashing. Kelley was killed in a struggle with Williamson trying to escape, police said.

Jurors also saw Lt. Jones' patrol dash cam video that showed him running to join an officer performing CPR on Sgt. Kelley lying on the ground.

"C'mon Kelley! Breathe Kelley!" screamed the officers.

A paramedic also told the jurors that when he arrived, he too performed CPR although he immediately knew it was futile, judging the extent of Kelley's injuries but he did so out of respect for Kelley and the other officers.

A trauma surgeon and a medical examiner also testified about the severity of Kelley's injuries. Jurors also saw graphic autopsy pictures. Some family members were not present.

Like Barbara Kelley, Sgt. Kelley's mother. She returned in the afternoon to take the stand. She was the last witness on the stand Wednesday and was the most emotional.

Kelley told the jury that if her only son were still alive, he would have been 40-years-old. She also said she learned about his death through a text message at work.

"I got a text from my husband Jack and it said come home our son was killed this morning. If you can't drive, I will come get you," she told jurors through tears.

She also testified about seeing her son at the hospital.

"Christopher was laying on a gurney. It was the most unimaginable horror you can ever see. I could see a towel stuffed behind his head, it was all bloody, his beautiful face. His head was shaven," Kelley tearfully said.

But the most emotional moment was when a prosecutor shower Mrs. Kelley an autopsy photo of her son. She burst into tears on the stand. Court immediately adjourned for the day.

Once again, one of the only people who remained emotionless was Colby Williamson, the defendant.

If convicted, Williamson could face five to 99 years in jail, and a $10,000 fine.

In the first day of the trial, the jury viewed several pieces of evidence, including patrol dash camera footage of Williamson's crash. The defense told the jury that Williamson was driven with "pure, blind irrational panic," and did not commit the crime intentionally. Williamson County District Attorney Shawn Dick said that this was not the intentional killing of a police officer, and it is not capital murder.

"When we're talking about capital murder, we're talking about the intentional killing of a police officer; setting out, knowing that a person is a police officer and killing them because they're a police officer. That's not the type of a case that you're hearing in here," Dick told KVUE on Tuesday.


Trial begins for man accused of killing Hutto police sergeant in 2015

1 year since Hutto officer killed in line of duty

Community remembers Hutto police officer 2 years after his death

Hutto dedicates road to fallen police officer

Hutto community gathers to remember fallen sergeant

KVUE's Jenni Lee is covering Williamson's trial. No phones are allowed in the courtroom. Lee has been live tweeting updates from outside the courtroom while watching proceedings through a video feed.

Check back on this story for updates.