AUSTIN – The suspect in a fatal stabbing Oct. 8 in South Austin has been arrested in Dimmit County, U.S. Marshals said.

Ricardo Santos, 34, was arrested Thursday night along the 600 block of Crockett Street in Big Wells, Texas. Santos' arrest warrant alleges he fatally stabbed Fabian Michael Gutierrez at an apartment complex near East Stassney Lane and South Congress Avenue. Police said they were called to the complex around 9:20 p.m. Oct. 8 for a reported assault and found Gutierrez with serious injuries, and that he died at St. David’s South Austin Medical Center shortly before 10 p.m.

Police said dispatch received a call while on scene from a woman who reported Santos took her husband’s truck, and police noted in the affidavit that the woman’s description of the truck matched that of the truck that was seen fleeing the scene after Gutierrez had been stabbed. The warrant states Santos returned the truck and then left again. Police said officers observed several items in the truck that witnesses told them were used in the assault on Gutierrez.

According to the warrant, police learned Santos was arrested in September in an incident involving his girlfriend, and that the girlfriend accused Gutierrez of assaulting her in late September. The warrant states that Gutierrez "was also currently involved in a relationship with" that woman. The warrant cited the incident report for the alleged assault, with the victim saying she did not want Gutierrez to get away with assaulting her.

Police further noted that the woman reported another disturbance to police on Oct. 7, and made several calls to 911 on Oct. 8 to report Gutierrez threatening to shoot up her, her house and possibly her children. Police said in the affidavit the last call she made to 911 was at 8:20 p.m. Oct. 8, approximately one hour before police were called to the apartment complex.

The warrant said detectives located Santos the morning of Oct. 9, and that in an interview Santos admitted to taking the truck, but denied being involved in the murder. Police noted in the warrant they learned from a witness on Oct. 11 that Santos admitted to killing the victim.

U.S. Marshals said they learned Santos may have fled toward the Mexico border on a Greyhound bus, and learned that he had been dropped off in Uvalde. From there they were able to track Santos to a residence in Big Wells.

Santos was taken into custody the evening of Oct. 12 and booked into the Dimmit County Jail in Carrizo Springs. Once extradited to Travis County, he will face a $1 million bond.