WATCH: Two years later, microwaved baby living a happy life


by By Courtney Zubowski / 11 News

Posted on August 15, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Updated Tuesday, Oct 20 at 1:58 PM

HOUSTON-Kaylee Croxton is a bossy, pink-loving, 2-year-old girly girl. But just two years ago, inside a Galveston motel, her biological father put her inside a microwave and turned it on for 20 seconds.

11 News Video
Microwaved baby living a happy life with a loving family
June 25, 2009

Her biological mother claimed the devil told him to do it.

Kaylee's dad, Joshua Mauldin, is serving a 25-year prison sentence for the crime.

"When I do think about Josh, it's kind of mixed emotions and I think for Jeremy, too, because if this hadn't happened, we wouldn't have her," Heather Croxton said.

Croxton and her husband, Jeremy, adopted Kaylee in February.

Kaylee now has three older brothers, who have become pretty protective of her.

She's been part of the Croxton clan for almost two years, even though the adoption just became official this year.

She was born a cousin to the Croxtons through marriage.

Shortly after the abuse, the Croxtons, who live in College Station, took her in.

"When she says, 'I love you, daddy,' I mean, that brings a smile right there on your face," Jeremy Croxton said.

Kaylee has scars from the burns she suffered in the microwave.

She suffered third-degree burns on her left cheek, ear, shoulder and hand. Her left ring finger was burned all the way to the bone.

Also Online

She's had several surgeries and will need several more, because the scar tissue and skin grafts don't grow with her.

There will be some tough times ahead.

"Obviously, I think we are going to have to tell her, because the whole world knows and if she was to find out from someone else, she would probably be devastated," Heather Croxton said.

"It's just so hard to think about it, how - how we're going to explain it to her," Jeremy Croxton said.

And if that's not enough for the family to worry about, now there's something else.

Since Kaylee was burned, she was treated and cared for by the surgeons at Shriners Hospital in Galveston.

Everything was going great, until Hurricane Ike blew in. The hospital was shut down indefinitely.

Now the Croxtons travel from College Station to Houston for care, and they say they're not getting what they need.

"They have still been seeing her in Houston, but it's much different. The staff was cut. Everything was cut. They're sharing operation rooms with the Houston Shriners," Heather Croxton said. " In Jaunuary, we were told that she needs a surgery and that someone would contact us in a couple of weeks. It's mid-June, and still no surgery."

The CEO of Shriners told 11 News they're doing the best they can to make sure patients who have been moved to Houston are getting the care they need.

He also said they're sending a team to Houston to find out what the problem may be.

But the Croxton's arrangement could be permanent. Come July, Shriners in Galveston could shut down for good.

"We have a lot of concern. I don't blame the staff and Shriners, this staff from Galveston, but we are looking to find a new burn doctor because we don't feel like she's getting the quality care that she deserves," Heather Croxton said.

But at home, Kaylee's getting lots of quality care.

If she isn't playing with her big brothers and her mom, she's outside running around with her dad.

Kaylee's life got off to a rough start, but in the end she's found herself surrounded by a loving family.